Friday, May 3, 2013

Begin At The Beginning

I became interested in my family history back in 2000 when I first purchased a computer and found about Family Tree Maker. I put in what little I knew. My grandparents was as far back as I knew back then. My father's side was Italian and my paternal grandmother Josephine (Dinard) Christopher used to tell us she was born on the boat coming over here. My mother's side is from West Virginia.

The first thing you think is I can find everything on the Internet these days. The first place I tried was family search.org. I highly recommend this site for any beginner. My Italian side was non existent on here. I knew they were going to be harder to trace. My mother's side however was more interesting. There was a lot of information about the Stier surname. I gleefully copied and pasted the information not paying much attention to the the word SOURCE. I would come to regret that mistake early on.

My advice to beginners would be to make sure you copy all information and source documentation. You won't like it when you have to go back and retrace your steps because you haven't done so. Take it from someone who's been there.

I am new to blogging but I think this is a good way to share my family history adventure with other family members and those I don't know yet. I'm looking forward to getting  to know people and learn more about genealogy and my family history.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Geneabloggers. Happy hunting -;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Geneabloggers! Blogging is blast.

    ReplyDelete