Saturday, May 4, 2013

Surname Saturday ~ DiNardo

This is my first Surname Saturday and I decided on DiNardo because this was the first name I started with in my research back in 2000.

I have found many variations on the name. Dinard, Dinardi, Denard, Denardo. This family was also known as Renaldo, Rinaldi. Which one was the actual name they started out with? There had been much family debate on this. Some believed the family name was originally Denardo and others Rinaldi.



The first thing I did was find out my paternal grandmothers parents names. Her father was Salvatore DiNardo. When my grandmother filed for a delayed birth certificate he was listed as Sam Dinard.:


Source:

Josephine Dinard, application, registration of birth Trumbull County case no. 139, (Series A), doc 23, page 39, Trumbull County Archives, Warren, Ohio, Photocopy in possession of compiler.


My Aunt Toots ( Carmella Sylvia Christopher James), Josephine's daughter gave me a picture of Salvatore and Salvatrice's stone at Calvary Cemetery in Youngstown, Ohio:



 More info on this was sent to me by Patti Caldrone daughter of Carmel Dinard Caldrone ( Josephine's sister) :


Not sure how this would be sourced.  Anyone know?


She also sent me this article from theYoungstown Telegram:


Source:

Sam Denardi, Accident Causes Fatal Injuries, Youngstown Telegram, Youngstown, Ohio, 25, August 1919,  page ten, column1.

So we now have Sam Dinard, Salvatore Rinaldi, Sam Denardi. Which one is correct?
 Next is to find his death certificate. I went to family search.org and found this:


Source: 

 Salvatore Denardi, death certificate no.49468, (1919), Ohio Department of Health, Office of Vital Statistics, Coumbus. "Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X8LM-PMQ : accessed 04 May 2013).

We now have 2 sources stating his birth date as 1879.

The next thing to do was to find out if he came through Ellis Island.. This may tell us more. I went to Ellis Island .org. I found a treasure trove of information. Here is the record I found:


Source: 

Salvatore DiNardo entry; SS Aller passenger manifest, October 2,1902 page 345, line 15, arriving at New York, October 16, 1902. Ellis Island Foundation, "The American Family Immigration History Center's Ellis Island Archive," Ellis Island (Online: The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation, Inc., 2009), <http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/>, accessed [04 May 2013].

We now know that Salvatore was born in Montella, Italy. We also now know he had a sister named Antonia who lived in Niles, Ohio.

The next step is to once again go to family search.org. I searched their records and found microfilm for Montella, Avellino, Campania, Italy. I ordered the records for that contained his birth year and then went to family history center to view them. This is what I found:


 Source:

Salvatore DiNardo, birth certificate no.53, (1879) Registri dello stato civile, Nati 1866-1882, Montella, Avellino, Campania, Italy, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.


This is our Salvatore! How do we know? The beauty of Italian records is if the person was married in the same town he was born in they would record the marriage information in the side column. As you can see he married Salvatrice Celmente on December 12, 1901 in Montella, Avellino, Campania, Italy.

We now have the date of birth  January 5, 1879 and we know his parents names Pasquale DiNardo and Maria Giuseppa Spanola.

Going through step by step we have solved the mystery of what the family name originally was! It was DiNardo.

1 comment: